Managing Difficult Emotions, Three part Series. Part one.
… Pain. This familiar intense feeling of burning usually starts just below my navel, radiating up through my chest…
Creating a excruciating pressing sensation between my breasts and moving up towards the throat. This energy – wanting to come out as a scream, a cry…
Tears appearing and pouring out of my eyes. And another wave – covering me head to toe…
I have been blessed not to experience much of a physical pain in this lifetime, the emotional one, however, is quite familiar
If painful emotions are part of your life, please read on as I’m going to outline a few ways of dealing with them that work well for me.
Naming the emotions is an important part of understanding of what is happening to you and managing difficult emotions:
“Flying Birds technique”
- Imagine as though your emotions are birds flying around in a large open space
- It’s important to recognize that you are not your emotions
- The true you are the observer, the space, the sacred container in which the birds are flying
- Once you stop attaching yourself to the emotions and just witness them from a side – the pain becomes a lot more manageable to handle
- Name the emotions and recognize all of the birds without judging them to be good or bad
- Once you give each of them your proper attention – they may start expressing themselves and eventually quiet down
To be continued Next Tuesday…